With the rise of artificial intelligence, chat bots have quickly become a marketing and website development wish list favorite for many businesses.
While speaking at the Build conference in 2016, Microsoft’s CEO, Satya Nadella, said that he believed that bots were the new apps. Since 2016, many tech enterprises and startups have realized the huge potential of the chat bot space and have been putting a lot more time and money into this technology.
Chat bots simulate conversations with users using artificial intelligence. It’s basically having a customer service department that never sleeps, which is one of the main reasons why so many businesses have jumped on the chat bot train.
Are chat bots a worthwhile investment?
The one thing that any business owner wants to know before they decide to fork out money is how a new technology or development project is going to benefit their business in the long run.
Below are just a few of the benefits of adding a chat bot to your website:
- Improved customer service. Instead of a customer having to wait for a response to their email or for a customer service agent to become available, chat bots can offer them immediate assistance. Adding a chat bot to your website means that your customer service team is always on call.
- Increased sales. With improved customer service comes an increase in sales. When customers’ questions and queries are being dealt with in a timely manner, they’re much more likely to buy from you now and in the future.
- User journey optimization. Having a chat bot on your site can alert you to potential user journey problems. If you find that customers are asking a lot of the same questions or are asking about content or products that can already be found on your site, you might need to relook at your site’s UX.
- Save money. Having a chat bot means you don’t need to hire additional customer service agents because technology will be doing the work for you, saving your business thousands of dollars in the long run.
- Drive more traffic to your site. When a customer feels looked after, they’ll automatically come back to your website more often, make more purchases and follow you on social media, driving more traffic to your website and growing your numbers.
- Get to know your customers. Chat bots can help with customer data analysis that can be used to optimize your marketing and sales strategies.
It’s important to note that if you’re going to go the chat bot route, it needs to be done right. Customers shouldn’t be able to tell whether they’re chatting with a real person or a bot or you could start losing their trust, something that could affect your brand in the long run. Work with developers to build the best possible chat bot for your budget.
What are your thoughts? Are chat bots something your business will be looking into in 2017?