In the United States alone, eCommerce sales are expected to reach $434 billion in 2017. Online users are shopping from their desktops, their laptops and now their mobile phones too, making online stores goldmines. The catch however is that there are a number of new online stores popping up everywhere so if you want to compete and be successful in the eCommerce space, you really need to get it right.
Tips for creating and running a successful eCommerce store
So what’s the best way to make your online store stand out from your competitors and how do you ensure that users convert? Below are a few key tips that you can implement to increase your chances of online selling success.
- Spend time nurturing your website. First impressions are everything so it’s imperative that you spend enough time planning and working on the store to ensure that it not only looks attractive but that it’s working correctly too. Ensure that your graphics look professional, that your fonts are easy to read and that everything from your social media icons to your search bar is working 100%.
- Pay attention to the user journey. Once you have a user on your website who is interested in purchasing your products, you need to make sure that their entire journey through your site is a simple and pleasant one. Once you are more or less ready to launch your online store, go through the entire user journey from start to finish, or even better, get an outside party to try it out so that you can be sure that every aspect of the online shopping process is running smoothly.
- Pick up the pace. While the speed of your website might seem like an insignificant factor, it can mean the difference between a customer checking out or leaving your website completely. Test the speed of your online store on a regular basis and find ways to speed it up if it’s too slow.
- Offer amazing support. Customers are the backbone of any business so it’s essential that you have an incredible support team to assist them every step of the way. Make it easy for your customers to get in touch and offer them more than one way to get in touch. It’s also important for your team to be trained on a regular basis in terms of new products, recent store improvements or changes, and company policies and procedures.
- Don’t forget to get out there. Firstly, having an SEO strategy in place will help put your business on the map so it’s important to develop a strategy that will help search engines and the right consumers find your store. Next, you need to market your store if you want people to find out about it. Setup your social media profiles, place a link to your store in all of your communications and invest in some online advertising if possible.